Fall with Lappe Nordic Ski Club
The Lappe Nordic Ski Club continues to work hard to ensure that we follow the guidelines set out by the government and Cross-Country Ski Ontario so that our program participants feel confident that we are taking this pandemic seriously and keeping athletes and families safe.
Lappe Nordic Ski Club is pleased to be offering our Fall programming, while adhering to COVID guidelines, keeping everyone safe, active, and outdoors.
Programs starting up on Sept 17th include:
- Track Attack (ages 10-12) Fall and Winter program. For both racers and adventurers. Fitness, fun, teamwork all while improving technique and exploring.
- Fall Kids Running Wild (ages 5-14). Thursdays from Sept 17 to Nov. 5. Outdoor, adventure-based kids activities including orienteering, hikes and games.
- FIT Program for Youth and Adults (12 and up). Just Fall or Fall and Winter. For skiers interested in improving their skiing, staying in shape and perhaps even doing some racing.
- COMP Program for Youth and Adults (12 and up). For skiers interested in training hard and racing fast.
COVID Guidelines include;
- small group sizes (cohorts of approximately 10-15 athletes),
- physical distances of 2m maintained throughout activities,
- no shared equipment,
- Personal use of face masks for when physical distances can’t be kept, before and after training
- Clear and consistent communication by all regarding physical distance appropriateness levels using the “green, yellow and red zone”. Example, “Oops, we are in each other’s red zone”, or “We are in the yellow zone, let’s back up a bit”. “Okay, green zone, we can proceed.”
- All families and athletes are encouraged to bring their own hand sanitizer with them for use when they feel it is needed and a personal water bottle.
Each and every member has a responsibility to follow guidelines and keep themselves and their fellow club members safe. Coaches will remind athletes to keep their distance, and athletes who cannot do so will be asked to “time out” until they feel they can return to the group and respect physical distancing guidelines.
Fall Kick Off Training Camp (Sept 12 and 13):
Modified in order to limit risk of contact. 2 separate days at Sleeping Giant Provincial Park
Day 1 will be from 9:00 am and to 4:00 pm and be in the same format as the day training camps, and Day 2 will begin at 9:00 am and include a longer day on the trail. The end time will be flexible, but likely around 3:00 pm. We ask each family to either return to Thunder Bay, or arrange their own accommodation at the park. The cost of the camp will be $15 per participant.
We are pleased to be able to host this annual tradition, but this year, in order to keep within a maximum group gathering of 100 people there will be two Sawdust Runs this fall.
- “Junior” Sawdust Run Saturday, October 3rd,
- for athletes under 12.
- registration done on site (bring exact cash)
- “Senior” Sawdust Run Saturday, October 10th
- for athletes 12 and up
- $25 per person
- on a first come first served basis. Club members will receive a private link to register on Monday, September 14th. The registration will then open to the public on Thursday, September 17.
Starts will be in waves, and participants will be asked to wear their mask in the parking lot, and stadium, and up until the start of the race. Both events will be limited to 80 registrants and we encourage as few spectators as possible.
Open House and Ski Swap (Oct 31):
This important event offers the entire community an opportunity to:
- Learn about club programs
- SKI SWAP: Buy or sell ski equipment and gear
- Pick up seasonal ski equipment rentals
- Pick up your Lappe Ski Center trail pass ( early bird prices until Oct 31)
This event will take place following all COVID guidelines including the use of face masks, and limiting to 50 people inside at a time.